Please note that Visiting Students to Columbia Engineering are not permitted to apply for transfer admission. The Visiting Student Program accepts students to enter in either fall (September) or spring (January) semesters; students may enroll for a maximum of two semesters (either consecutive fall/spring semesters or spring/fall semesters).
NOTE: This application is for students currently studying at a college or university outside the United States. Students studying at a college or university in the United States who are interested in applying to be a visiting student must complete a separate application at Columbia Undergraduate Admissions.
UVSP Application requirements (register for at least 12 points):
- The UVSP Application
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s math or science instructor
- A statement of eligibility from the home university's Official
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores (if applicable)
- Personal statement
- Clear, short answers to essay questions; responses should clearly express an applicant’s knowledge of Columbia University and how the Visiting Student Program will help enhance his/her overall educational experience
- An official transcript from your current institution and/or school official (if not in English, an official English translation of the transcript is required). To be official, the transcript must come directly from your institution or from a school official via email, fax or mail. We strongly prefer electronic transcripts for faster processing
- A non-refundable $85.00 application fee, submitted electronically
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Special note for non-English speakers: All Columbia students must be comfortable with rapid and idiomatic spoken English. If the language of instruction at your college/university is in English, you do not need to submit an official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo score. Otherwise, candidates who attend a non-English speaking college/university, must submit an official score report from the testing agency for one of the following English proficiency examinations:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
If, based on our requirements for English language proficiency, the results of the IELTS, TOEFL or Duolingo are required as part of your application, we must have official scores. For scores to be official, they must be reported directly to Columbia by the testing service, using institutional code 2111; students cannot provide their own copies of score reports.
- Students must be eligible (see above).
- Students should have a minimum 3.0 GPA (or equivalent) and be in overall good standing at their home institution. Additionally, the minimum grade for each pre-engineering, science or math course must be a B (3.0) or better on the first attempt.
Please note the importance of these requirements as the admissions process is competitive.
Visiting Student Admissions Dates & Deadlines